Here are eleven facts about global warming that might surprise you, and even educate you a bit. I for one find this whole situation pretty scary!
- Global warming is the increase of Earth’s average surface temperature due to greenhouse gases that collect in the atmosphere like a thickening blanket, trapping the sun’s heat and causing the planet to warm up
- Greenhouse gases keep heat close to the earth’s surface making it livable for humans and animals. However, global warming is happening largely due to an over-emittance of these gases and fossil fuels (natural oil, gasoline, coal).
- With the start of industry in the 1700’s, humans began emitting more fossil fuels from coal, oil, and gas to run our cars, trucks, and factories. By driving a “smarter” car, you will not only save on gas, but help prevent global warming.
- There is more carbon dioxide in the atmosphere today than at any point in the last 800,000 years.
- Though Americans make up just 4 percent of the world’s population, we produce 25 percent of the carbon dioxide pollution from fossil-fuel burning — by far the largest share of any country.